Why Can't our Heroes be Heroines?

SHE WRITES and Teri Coyne host

Ordinary Women: Extraordinary Heroines
A New Paradigm for the Modern Heroine.

a reading with authors

Thursday, September 30, 2010 at 7:30pm

5233 N. Clark St.
Andersonville, IL
(773) 769-9299
Red Line to Berwyn
Free

Meet Teri Coyne

About Teri:
Teri Coyne’s novel, The Last Bridge, was named a Target Breakout Book and called, “…a compelling debut…” by Publishers Weekly and a “…psychological tour de force…” by Booklist and will be released in paperback on May 25. Writing since she received her first typewriter on her 10th birthday, she studied poetry with Philip Shultz, novel writing at Iowa Summer Writers Workshop, memoir with Frank McCourt and fiction with Masha Hamilton. A former stand-up comedienne, she also explored filmmaking, playwriting, acting, producing and directing. Teri lives in New York and is nearly done with her second novel.

A few words about heroines:

In the long journey I took with my main character, Cat Rucker, the one that was most enlightening was discovering I was writing a character that many people would not initially like. Cat’s intensity, her tenuous grip on reality and her anger at the world was what made me love her and nurture her through her story, I was surprised when I heard people in workshops ask if I could make her less angry, if maybe she couldn’t drink so much.

I was told she was too intense, that what happened to her was something people didn’t want to deal with. Some said the brutality of her life was hard to take.

Of all the feedback I got the one that shocked me the most was that my main character was not a nice person.

I couldn’t help but wonder, if Cat Rucker was a man would anyone care?

This “nice” thing pushed a button in me, are our stories only valid if they are told in a nice way? What is nice anyway? Is it kind, loving, respectful, I can get next to that or is it code for something else. Is it a way of saying, you are too much, you are not apologetic enough about your feelings.

I define a heroine as a woman who is unapologetic about her feelings, who owns who she is and what she does, who struggles to transcend and embrace her upbringing, societies expectations and her own limitations. A woman who speaks her truth and respects others but has neither the time, interest or inclination to be "nice," especially when being human is so much more interesting.



No comments:

Post a Comment